Friday, February 18, 2005

Sacrifices?

Tonight I've done it again....
?......
##%%!for crying it out loud!
Tonight was my weekly chessclub evening. The game went optimal for me. After ten moves I won the bishop of my opponent. I trained "slaying the defender" a few weeks ago, and so this was the result. After an our playing came the stage how to finish the opponent by checkmate.
This I trained last week.
Checkmate in 3. Piece of cake. First the sacrifice, then the check, then the finishing move.
Cheerfully I took his f7 pawn with my bishop, my opponent took cheerful my bishop and that was it. I've never seen it back.
How is this possible? The whole week I trained sacrifices but..........
in the exercices they worked!
In a real game not allways.
The problem is with training you do your moves without thinking because the initial moves are of the same kind. The pattern I've developped is perhaps in the wrong part of my brains.
So, I must learn not to move fast but see fast what is on the board.
Tonight was a good course, educational, but I hope not to repeat this 7 times.

3 comments:

Temposchlucker said...

Welkom bij de dolende ridders. Welcome to the Knights Errant.

Pawnsensei said...

Awesome! Our first lady Knight. Welcome aboard. 200 chess puzzles from Polgar a night? Good grief. The 7 circles will be a piece of cake for you.

On a side note, my girlfriend just started taking up group voice lessons as a hobby and I hope she sticks with it. She doesn't practice every night like I do with chess but hopefully she'll get into the grove. I may have a question or two for you in the future on voice training if that's ok.

BTW, please check out our ICQ group. The link is on my blog.

PS

CelticDeath said...

You have to slow down, Margriet. My advice for you is this: when you work your puzzles, and you see the solution, don't just answer the problem and move on to the next puzzle. Ask yourself why the solution works. Try to see why other moves don't work as well. Prove to yourself why the solution works. This will translate itself into better powers of visualization, better calculating ability, and less errors over the board.