Friday, February 18, 2005

Chess improvement and a lazy lady

In 1998 my husband told me he wanted to play chess at the local chessclub. He allso thought it was good for me to join. there was just a little problem to solve: I had to learn the chess-game.
So enthousiastic I started to learn the difference between a pawn and a bishop and how to catch a king with two rooks. I worked hard and my husband was (and is) an understanding and good coach. In 1999 I played my first tournament, with not even a bad result.
At our local club I was for years(!) the worst player. I 'd never won a single game, but because I wanted to learn the game I did not gave up, allthough I was sometimes desperate.
The first openings I learned : king's gambit with white and sicilian with black.
From the time I'd study tactics (5000 +1 problems by daddy Polgar) there was some progress.
In 4 years I reached from nothing to a level of 1400 rating points. Not bad because I don't know much middleaged ladies who started for the first time with chess.
I won from older guys who played 20 to 30 years.
Daily I try to do at least 200 tactic problems, (intensive course tactics, from George Renko) but it is difficult to withstand doing other things, like playin computer games and make music (I'm a composer too).
I have a dream or two: beat my hubby on the board, I did this one time, and become on the list of top 50 female players in our country.

3 comments:

CelticDeath said...

You sound like a determined and gifted chess player. What is your elo? If you made the top 50 list for ladies in the Netherlands, it must be pretty high!

Margriet said...

no, no, it is my goal and dream to be on that list. sorry you misunderstood, my elo is 1410 now, that is why I practice, because I really need it. I'm a beginner. a patzer.

King of the Spill said...

200 problems regularly is impressive, you will go far!